Last weekend I was away in Malaysia as a volunteer in a kids’ memory camp for 4 days called eN-Genius Memory Camp. It was such an eye opener for me being a by-product of the left-brain centric education system of Singapore which was deeply influenced by the British colonial system.
The truth is the modern education system is not designed to facilitate the whole-brain activation; it only teaches us to cramp as much information as possible which makes learning a painful experience for children. That is why many children develop this deep hatred for school and examinations because the learning has become a dreadful experience. It completely takes away the joy of learning in life. Our current educational system only teaches children the IQ (Cognitive Intelligence) and perhaps a little EQ (Social-Emotional Intelligence) which results in only barely 5-10% of the brain capacity is being activated. This is such a poor representation of a child’s limitless potential intelligence yet parents and the education system are so concerned about such benchmark. The other 90%, which is not utilised, constitutes the Spiritual Quotient (Spiritual Intelligence) and Wisdom Quotient (Wisdom Intelligence). When the child is born they have 100% right brain use and slowly the child adapts itself to the left brain world and eventually forgets to use the right brain, which is the biggest loss for mankind. The right brain is responsible for creativity, intuition, spontaneity, quantum memory, learning in a flash, and computer like calculations etc. By the time a child reaches 6 or 7 years of age, the right side of the brain becomes closed due to societal conditioning. When this happens, human civilisation can not evolve into new dimensions.